Self-organized groups of refugees and migrants, as well as allies are encouraged to hold internal meetings of their members to discuss what a joint people’s platform for racial and migrant justice would be. We also encourage joint meetings of different organizations in communities across the country of all forms of anti-racist and migrant justice organizations to discuss a unifying platform. If you are organizing such a meeting, let us know! Email firstname.lastname@example.org (please put Platform in the subject line).
Guiding question for discussions on a platform:
- Who are the racialized and migrant people in our community, and what are their most important needs that are not being met?
- What are the primary issues that migrant and racialized people in our community are organizing or mobilizing around? What are the primary issues that they would mobilize around?
We propose this initial set of unified demands developed at our launch meeting on December 8-9, 2018 attended by over 35 organizations:
- STATUS FOR ALL, STATUS NOW: Permanent resident status and family unity for all migrants and refugees here, and landed status on arrival for those that arrive in the future. No detentions, no deportations!
- DECENT WORK: $15 minimum wage, full labour rights and no employer specific or time limited work permits.
- UNIVERSAL SERVICES: Full access to quality public services including healthcare, education, income security, childcare settlement services, pensions, and more for all residents.
- JUST SOCIETY: Indigenous self-determination, gender justice, and an end to racism, particularly anti-Black racism and Islamophobia.
- NO DISPLACEMENT: An end to practices of displacement and persecution that force people to migrate including climate change, wars, corporate impunity and economic exploitation.