Canada – The cross-country alliance Migrant Rights Network is holding Canada-wide actions on June 16 to put forward a pro-migrant and anti-racist agenda in advance of the federal elections. June 16 is International Domestic Workers Day and Father’s Day. Many migrants are unjustly separated from their families, and domestic workers continue to be harmed by federal and provincial laws that deny them full rights and permanent resident status. Ahead of the federal election, migrants and allies are ringing the alarm on the increasing use of racist and xenophobic rhetoric as a vote wining strategy. The Migrant Rights Network is calling on all political parties to committ to status for all, decent work, quality universal public services, end to discrimination, and a stop to policies of displacement.
Cross-Canada Media Contacts:
EN: Syed Hussan, 416 453 3632, email@example.com
FR/ES: Karen Cocq, 647 970 8464, firstname.lastname@example.org
Affiliated rallies / creative actions and marches are planned in:
- Fredericton – 7pm, June 16, City Hall, Tabatha Armstrong 506.453.4875 (No One Is Illegal Fredericton)
- Guelph – 12pm, June 16, Mandy Hiscocks, 519.731.4179 (OPIRG Guelph)
- Halifax – 2pm, June 16, Garrison Grounds, Citadel Hill
- Kelowna – 12pm, June 16, Dayton Street Overpass over Harvey Avenue. Luis Diaz, 250.826.1551 (RAMA)
- London – 1pm, June 16, Victoria Park
- Montreal – 2pm, June 16, Parc Nelson Mandela, Romina Hernandez-Gomez, (514) 560-0673 (Solidarity Across Borders)
- Ottawa – 2pm, June 16, Dundonald Park – Karen Cocq, 647 970 8464 (Migrant Workers Alliance)
- Peterborough – 2pm, June 16, Confederation Park
- Toronto – 2pm, June 16, Grange Park – Syed Hussan, 416 453 3632 (Migrant Worker Alliance)
- Winnipeg – 1pm, June 15. Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Vancouver – For migrant workers only, by invitation. Byron Cruz – (604) 315-7725 and Lorina Serafico – (604) 618-3649
See full details at www.migrantrights.ca/June16 (more added daily)
- STATUS FOR ALL: Permanent resident status and family unity for all migrants and refugees here, and landed status on arrival for those that arrive in the future. No detentions, no deportations!
- DECENT WORK: $15 minimum wage, full labour rights for all and no employer specific or time limited work permits.
- UNIVERSAL SERVICES: Full access to quality public services including healthcare, education, income security, childcare, pensions, and more for all residents.
- NO DISCRIMINATION: Indigenous self-determination, gender justice, and an end to racism, particularly anti-Black racism and Islamophobia.
- NO DISPLACEMENT: An end to practices and policies further climate change, wars, corporate impunity, dirty mining and economic exploitation which force people to migrate.