October 30, 2020 – Migrants, refugees, undocumented people, workers and students are taking action on Day of the Dead – November 1st and 2nd to honour the lives of migrants that have died during COVID-19, and to call for full and permanent immigration status for all as the second wave of COVID-19 ramps up. Actions including die-ins, altars for the dead, and rallies will take place in Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara, Sherbrooke, Sudbury & Halifax and come just days after a stunning report that exposed migrant care worker exploitation during COVID-19. Day of the Dead is a very important celebration to honor and celebrate the departed in Mexico and Guatemala, dating back to Indigenous traditions centuries old.
Cross-Canada Media Contact: email@example.com
NOVEMBER 1 Details & Contact Information
- MONTRÉAL, 5pm, Radio-Canada, 1400, Boul. René-Lévesque est. Contact: Solidarity Across Borders, 514-222-0205.
- NIAGARA, 7:30pm, Facebook Live. Contact: Kit Andres, 905-324-2840
- SHERBROOKE, 2pm, 175 Rue Queen. Contact: Nastaran Daniali: (819) 416-2864.
- SUDBURY, 2pm, Bell Park – Miner’s Monument. Contact: Scott Florence, 705-470-3323
- TORONTO, 5pm, Dufferin Grove Park. Contact: Syed Hussan, 416-453-3632
- VANCOUVER, 1pm, Grandview Park. Contact: Byron Cruz, 604-315-7725; Julie Diesta – 604 874 0649
NOVEMBER 2 Details & Contact Information
- HALIFAX, 6:30pm, 2221 Maitland St. Contact: No one is illegal – Halifax/K’jipuktuk – firstname.lastname@example.org
- At least 1 in 23 people in Canada (over 1.6 million) are non permanent residents.
- Thousands of migrants have gotten COVID-19, many have died because they are excluded from universal healthcare, access to emergency income supports, and decent work. Many are separated from their families.
- Migrants are unable to fully protect themselves during COVID-19 because of lack of emergency support, and because speaking out about unsafe work and housing conditions can result in deportation, homelessness, or not being able to return.
- Over 350 organizations have released a letter calling for full and permanent immigration status for all: https://migrantrights.ca/status-for-all/