Across the country, hundreds of town-halls are being organized to discuss a vision for a Green New Deal in Canada in May (find the one nearest you here). A speaking tour is taking place in June (find one near you here – if you need free tickets, email email@example.com). It is imperative that anti-racist, migrant justice and social movement activists attend these gatherings to put forward the broadest vision possible for a Green New Deal in Canada.
Download this flyer, print it, go with a few friends and distribute it at these gatherings.
We must all make the case to our neighbours that Green New Deal in Canada must include:
- DECENT WORK: $15 minimum wage, full labour rights and no employer specific or time limited work permits
- UNIVERSAL SERVICES: Quality public services including healthcare, education, income security, childcare, settlement services, pensions, and more for all residents
- STATUS FOR ALL, STATUS NOW: Permanent resident status for all migrants and refugees here, and landed status on arrival for those that arrive in the future. No detentions, no deportations!
- JUST SOCIETY: Indigenous self-determination, gender justice, and an end to racism, particularly anti-Black racism and Islamophobia.
- NO DISPLACEMENT: An end to practices of displacement and persecution that force people to migrate including climate change, wars, corporate impunity, negligent mining and economic exploitation.
WE MUST REMIND OUR COMMUNITIES THAT THOSE OPPOSED TO CLIMATE ACTION ARE THE SAME ONES SPREADING RACISM
We are all worried about our children’s future, the fate of the planet, the rising cost of living and retirement. All levels of government are imposing an austerity agenda upon us, while corporate profits go untaxed and climate crisis worsens. At the same time, two obscenely rich men own more wealth today, than 11 million Canadians.
We need system change for climate justice. And for that we need a massive people’s movement. Those in power today know that the easiest way to stop us is by dividing us. They want us fighting each other for scraps, while they continue to profit from climate catastrophe. To change everything, we need everyone.
WE MUST #UNITEAGAINSTRACISM TO WIN THE GREEN NEW DEAL WE NEED.