Migrant care workers take care of children, sick and the elderly but we are being denied equal rights because of unfair rules. Many are trained health professionals and teachers. If they are able to secure permanent resident status, they become childcare workers, nurses and personal support workers. They are essential to our communities and are the backbone of the current and future care economy. Right now the federal government is discussing changes, and your message will make a difference.
Signing this petition is safe, your immigration application will not be affected, and your private information will not be shared with the government.
Add your name to support these demands:
For those care workers in Canada:
- Create a new Interim Program for permanent residency for care workers currently in Canada without education accreditation and language requirements. Increase the dependent age limit in this Interim Program to allow families to reunite who were excluded through no fault of their own.
- Issue open work permits within 30 days of application to all care workers who apply for permanent residency from inside Canada so that no one becomes undocumented.
- End the backlog by removing the processing cap of 2,750, and process PR applications of all care workers in Canada immediately.
- Immediately grant open work and study permits to family members of care worker applicants for permanent residency to reunite families.
- Create a comprehensive regularization program to ensure permanent resident status for all care workers that have become undocumented.
And create a permanent solution in the future by:
- Replacing the HCCP and HSWP with a migrant care worker program that allows racialized working class women to come to Canada with permanent resident status and their families.