CANADA, June 11, 2020 — As COVID-19 continues to threaten migrant and undocumented lives and livelihoods, thousands are expected to rally online and in the streets for full immigration status for all migrants. Following the deaths of two farmworkers in Ontario, Prime Minister Trudeau promised to “do better”. Already, the federal cabinet is considering regularizing some asylum seekers working in healthcare in Quebec. The Migrant Rights Network – Canada’s largest migrant justice coalition – is calling for regularization and full immigration status for all non-permanent residents in the country to give migrants the ability to protect and care for themselves and their families during the pandemic. Full Immigration Status for All is necessary for a full and just recovery from COVID-19.
- WHAT: Massive Digital Rally and Caravan for Full Immigration Status for All
- WHEN: 12pm EST / 9am PST, June 14, 2020. Other actions throughout the day.
- WHERE: Broadcast at www.MigrantRights.ca/June2020
- WHO: Migrant and undocumented leaders from across Canada, including domestic careworkers, farmworkers, immigration detainees, refugees, migrant students and undocumented people.
- At least 1 in 23 people in Canada are migrants, without citizenship rights.
- Migrants are on various study, work or humanitarian permits, or without documentation at all.
- Many migrants are excluded from universal healthcare, access to federal income support, and decent work. Many are separated from their families.
- Migrants are unable to fully protect themselves during COVID-19 because of lack of income, or because speaking out about unsafe work and housing conditions can result in deportation.
- Read more on migrant priorities during COVID-19 at https://migrantrights.ca/covid19/, and more on Status for All at https://migrantrights.ca/statusforall/
- On June 14, 2020 (all times EST):
- 11:45am: Migrant Students Online Rally
- 12:00pm: Massive Digital Rally for Status for All
- 4:00pm: Digital Rally in Spanish for Status for All
- 5:00pm: Digital Rally in Mandarin for Status for All
- 5:00pm: Car Caravan for Status for All, Vancouver, BC
Media Contact: Syed Hussan, email@example.com, 416-453-3632. Pre-interviews available.